Indoor mold is a strong concern for many people due to the recent flooding in several states. Mold growth is imminent if steps aren’t taken to prevent it. The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) notes: Mold is not usually a problem unless it grows inside. The best way to control mold is to control moisture.
Mold can produce allergens and toxins. These organisms can include cladosporium, stachybotrys, alternaria, penicillium and aspergillus. Many researchers and physicians report symptoms to include respiratory distress, depression, joint pain and chronic exhaustion.
Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker, a physician that focuses on mold, suggests that mold illness is an acute and chronic, systematic inflammatory response syndrome that can develop after exposure to toxic organisms that can reside in water-damaged buildings. Â The World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines for indoor air quality reports that excess moisture can foster the growth of mold, fungi and bacteria and effects air quality that can affect health. In his book, Surviving Mold Shoemaker writes: The truth is that while the substantial majority are not permanently harmed by mold, plenty of people are about 25%.
I don’t know about you but black mold scares me. I don’t want to be part of the 25% that has permanent issues. Mold can be eradicated easily if it is done quickly and thoroughly. One product that successfully takes care of mold is hydrogen peroxide. HP is environmentally safe and easy to apply. Just make sure you take care of the problem as soon as you discover a water problem.