Mold in Facilities: What’s the risk?

Many studies have been done to see what effect mold has on a person’s health. Findings from the studies are very similar. Health effects include eye, nose and throat irritations: headache: dizziness; dermatitis; diarrhea; and impaired or altered immune function. The severity of the problem is determined by the amount of mold ingested and length of time of the exposure.

One study looked at damp offices. Workers in damp offices took 30% more sick days than workers in dry offices. Studies were also conducted at damp schools with mold and without mold. Absenteeism showed a significant increase in schools that were damp and moldy.

Two important studies of indoor mold concluded that mold can cause asthma and allergies and not just make the symptoms worse. The studies also found that the risk for developing asthma is higher for people who are sensitive to mold allergens, people whose parents have asthma, and children have a greater risk than adults.

Obviously, preventing mold growth is best, but if mold is found, it needs to be eradicated immediately. If left alone, it will continue to grow and can damage the building, furniture in the building and cause people to get sick, which is a liability issue.

References:
Health Risks of Dampness or Mold in Workplaces and Schools:
https://www.iaqscience.lbl.gov/dampness-risks-office

Mold: Examining the Risks and Embracing Prevention
http://www.facilitiesnet.com/iaq/article/Mold-What-Science-Says-Now-Facilities-Management-IAQ-Feature–3617